If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

RBOC: This Semester

  • The semester is in full swing now. It is only 3 weeks in and I'm already counting the days until summer.
  • Although I'm counting the days down, I am really enjoying my classes. My elective class, which I've taught twice before, is going beautifully. I have what feels like the right number of students and they are all interested and engaged. They have lots to say and class time flies by.
  • I am teaching a required class for the first time. So far the prep hasn't been a killer but that may change. This is a methods course and 2/3 of the students can't relate to the methods. I'm actually having fun trying to engage them.
  • There has been a lot of administrative work to do in the department. This is neither good nor bad, just a fact of life right now.
  • I have many exciting research projects going. I think I'm counting the days to summer because I want to spend all my time on them.
  • I was managing to stay ahead of all work before I went away this weekend, but between the trip and the local conference, I am now swamped. It is likely the beginning of the end.

No comments: