If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Post-Conference Exhaustion

After 3 days of nonstop talking, thinking, laughing and drinking, I am back from my conference.  I had a wonderful time but there was absolutely no down (alone) time.  For an extreme introvert like me, that can pose a bit of a problem.  The five hour solo drive home was a welcome respite.

I spent time with friends, colleagues, and students I see frequently as well as with friends I rarely see.  I presented a paper and a poster.  The methods in my paper were a hit and I was complimented on the topic of my poster.  I sat through very few presentations but the ones I saw sparked new ideas and great conversation.  I ate amazing food and drank sangria. I also saw art. My favorite was a street exhibit of Niki de Sainte Phalle's work.  I walked past it the first day and had to keep returning.  Unfortunately it was taken down yesterday.  Below are some images of The Three Graces.




Here we all are hanging out with the sculptures.


There was also this cool bike rental system.  The only problem is that is is BYOH (Bring Your Own Helmet).

And how can you not love the lions?



1 comment:

Joan Kane Nichols said...

I saw those lovely dancing women when I was at my Washington conference. They're outside the National Women's Art Museum (not the exact name), the only one of its kind in the US. Inside was a fascinating video of the woman who created them.