If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Thursday, July 17, 2008

BFFs

I have been blessed with having some pretty amazing BFFs over the years. I'm not the sort of person to have a large circle of friends instead I usually have one or two really really close ones in my life. I've kept in touch with most of them, although some much more sporadically than others. Today, for example, I have a conference call with my "girls" from Up North.

All of my friends have been incredibly strong, smart women with amazing talents. They tend to be outgoing and gregarious. I'm the quiet nerdy sidekick. When I was an adolescent my BFF was stunningly beautiful (you know, the one who gets all the guys), visually expressive and talented (we were in art class together), musically gifted (could pick up any instrument and make it sing), bilingual (we were in French class together), and outrageous. She was also a true friend and always there for me. I practically lived at her house for a few years. If I hadn't admired her so much myself I would have been crazy with jealousy.

We stay in touch, maybe once a year at best, and get together when we are in the same city (which isn't too often as she travels extensively and I now live in South Lite). Our career paths are about as opposite as one can imagine. While I've been struggling along the academic path while pursuing a feminist agenda, she has dedicated herself to a life in alternative music. She plays all sorts of instruments, most of which I've never of, but prefers the accordion. What she does with it is really quite brilliant. She is a singer and a songwriter and an amazing performer.

I miss her often. Recently I found she has played at TED (how cool is that?) and I thought I'd share a little of her with you here:







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your friend is so talented! I am always in awe of musical people. And people who can perform on stage. Isn't it great to have beautiful friends who bring spice to life? Great post.