If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Monday, March 8, 2010

Day One

Day One of Spring Break and the House Reorganization Project (RHP) was quite the success. It was a beautiful sunny day here in SouthLite; nice enough I could open the windows and drive The Brute a little crazy. I DID NOT work on my grant at all. This may seem like a bad thing (and in the long run may end up being a problem) but it felt very good. I DID get a lot of work done on the house and once b came home gobs more got accomplished. We should be able to finish the heavy lifting stuff before he heads back to work tomorrow afternoon. It seems b hates having projects drag on, so if I can get him started he’s pretty much a machine until its done.

Today was also Day One of Unravelling. It is turning out to be loads of fun but not at all productive. I could literally spend all day reading everyone’s blogs and keeping up-to-date on the discussions. The group is quite impressive. I’m seeing some really beautiful and creative spaces and I would be intimidated except everyone is so genuine and obviously excited to be taking the class. Since It was gorgeous out today I thought it would be smart to take my camera and Pupzilla for a nice long walk. Unfortunately the batteries in my camera were dead and Pupzilla could barely make it to the store and back. It seems the winter has been hard on our old pup and getting her back in shape may be another project.

I’ve also been playing with my new laptop all day. It is hard to keep my hands off of it, no matter how beautiful it is outside. Just having a screen that I can see and doesn’t flicker constantly is a gift. I’ve also been downloading and trying out some new software. I’m using MacJournal for this post and not sure yet how much I like it. Between work and blogging, I spend a lot of time writing on the computer. I’d like to have some tools that make it a little more comfortable. I’m just not sure which ones I like yet. I’m trying Scrivener (taking the advice of the lovely Susannah) and I’ve downloaded the trial version of Nisus. Scrivener seems interesting but Nisus seems less impressive. Ommwriter (another Susannah suggestion) is a lot of fun but a little limited. Anyone out there using something they absolutely love?

2 comments:

Drax said...

New toys? Sorry, no. But I will admit Scrivener looks groovy. Good luck with Unravelling. My sign-off and mantra has definite resonance for you today: Play On.

Annie said...

I don't use any of those programs, so I can't be of any help. Unravelling sounds interesting. I hope you share your photos!