If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Monday, March 28, 2011

Off To See The Wizard

The Wizard of Oz was an annual event in our home.  Watching it reminds me of the days when certain shows were only available once per year.  The Wizard of Oz and Mighty Joe Young were Thanksgiving events.  The Ten Commandments happened only around Easter.  It's A Wonderful Life was aired the week before Christmas and Christmas Eve. Now, of course, you can watch shows and movies pretty much whenever you want.

There is still something to be said for waiting for a classic.

Tomorrow I leave for Emerald City.  After the semester I've had, I need a little trip to the wizard.  I need to believe again.

I'm going with my favorite colleagues and one of my favorite students.  There is a conference in Emerald City where  am sure I will learn new and wonderous things but more importantly I need to travel a far to realize there's no place like home.

1 comment:

Drax said...

BRING ME BACK A BRAIN, please.