If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Friday, July 22, 2011

We Interrupt Our Regular Scheduled Programming....

...to send a happy birthday wish out to my mother.


Growing up, my mother was the smartest person I knew.  I believed there was no bottom to the well of her knowledge.  At 46, I still haven't found it.  She went back to college shortly after I was born and her educational career shaped my childhood and was an inspiration to my own academic pursuits.  To my mother I owe my love of writing and books.  No small debt. My mother is and always has been her own woman.  She does not stand by convention.  She is a bit of a nomad and a minimalist; two traits I greatly admire.

Mom is making her seventies look like a piece of cake.  I hope to follow in her footsteps.

Have a great day mom and I'll see you in September.

3 comments:

Annie said...

Happy Birthday to your Mom!

Joan Kane Nichols said...

Thanks so much, Sweetie. That tribute touched me deeply, more than you can know.

Have a great trip.

Love you,

Mom

ruth pennebaker said...

What a lovely tribute to your mother. Both of you are so fortunate to have each other.