If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

National Parks: Jellystone

b and I went to several National Parks in the past week.  One of them was the flagstone.  It was the first park and is definitely the most popular.  We camped there for two nights and I have to admit I was happy to be gone by the second day.  I had read a review that called the park "the Disneyland of the outdoors" and, while the reviewer meant it as a compliment, I was sorry to find it so.  I am far from hardcore (unlike b) but that doesn't mean I want my outdoors served on a platter.

The park was crowded, with buses dropping sightseers off even in the early hours of the morning. There are many trails but the moderate and difficult ones do not appear to be well maintained and we had a hard time finding trailheads.









We did get up extra early one day to catch the good sun and I managed to take a few shots.

5 comments:

Joan Kane Nichols said...

Some great shots.

I have often thought that the attitude of the National Park Service needs some adjustment. Now it seems to be: "herd the slickers in, point out some limited stuff they should look at, make sure they find the gift shop, then get them the hell out of there and leave the good stuff for us."

Perhaps I'm cynical.

Catherine said...

But did you see Yogi Bear????

Drax said...

Sounds good, but the national parks in Mexico serve you an extra plate of PURE HATE at no additional costs!!!

Annie said...

Hi Brigindo,
My husband and I camped, when we were in Yellowstone for a few days, and we got to immerse ourselves and do some hiking, and an overnighter. Parks have become crowded, but I'd still rather have them, than not! Olympic National Park in Washington State, and Capitol Reef National Park in Utah are two "other wordly" places for me, beautiful and alien and appealing.

Clynj said...

Thanks greatt post