If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Friday, December 28, 2007

Interlude

I've always found this to be a strange week. Christmas and all it's craziness is over but the holidays are still upon us. I don't understand the continued shopping that happens this week. Why would you want to step foot back in a store? This is the week everyone is planning for the new year (making goals, resolutions, themes, what-have-you) while assessing the past year. There's a lot of "remember when" in the media. Personally I find a year to be too short to get all sentimental. I'm more of a five-year person, myself.

What I like about this week is the complete shut-down of academia. It feels like when you were in elementary school and you were given "free-time" for an afternoon. I feel like I have intellectual free time. I can write what I want to write, work on my projects, and read anything. I've been told I'm supposed to be taking time off and relaxing. People generally don't understand that I find this relaxing. I find this invigorating. I love my work and have a hard time not thinking about it. What I don't like are committee meetings, grading, and responding to other people's agendas. My calendar is beautifully bare.

But it has not been all intellectual play all week. I do take time to indulge in hobbies. I spent two days obsessively baking (and eating) and I'm well into a fairly large crochet project. I also received a 2000-piece (my biggest one yet) jigsaw puzzle for Christmas and haven't even opened the box. So you see more fun awaits. I best get busy.

No comments: