If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Lookin' Good

I have finally gotten a haircut...and a good one at that. I think it's been at least 9 months since my last cut and that one really wasn't very good. I've been to three salons since I moved here (we're in the middle of year 2) and couldn't find anyone that fit. I gave up even thinking about it halfway through last semester. I don't think I have particularly difficult hair nor do I like complicated cuts. Actually my hair is straighter-than-straight, which I guess can be difficult.

I even went with highlights...it's been almost 3 years since my hair had color.

It's difficult to find a new hair person. I'm incredibly long-term monogamous in every relationship, even hair dressers, so I've been careful not to bond until I liked the results. And when you spend several hours in a chair I think you should like the person with their fingers in your hair. I knew I liked this woman--we'll call her Miss C--when I realized I was actually initiating conversation. It usually takes a few "first dates" before I'm taking an active role in the discussion.

So the year is off to a good start. What I haven't managed to do yet is to find my way into the office. That will probably have to happen tomorrow.

No comments: