If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Collecting Sniffs

Pupzilla and I just got back from a 2-hr walk through our little city. It must have been a very fruitful walk for the Pupster as she was VERY busy with her sniffing work. I can only imagine that the spring-like weather produced all kinds of fresh samples for her to gather. I think she must have a sophisticated cataloging system to track all the new smells. I wonder about these things as I watch her head turn--"no, no, old, smelled that before, nothing new....wait a minute, let's see what we have here"--and then disregard whatever caught her attention until a really juicy smell comes along.

What she plans to do with all this information, I have no idea. I wonder if she has some overarching research question that drives her or if it is all exploratory work? She occasionally disseminates her own bits of knowledge for other inquiring noses but mostly she seems concerned with data collection.

My day has been less fruitful. Most of it has been spent food shopping, caring for a sick Boy, and walking. I'm nursing a cup of decaf in hopes that some motivation will come along.

No comments: