If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Friday, February 1, 2008

Happy Imbolc

Today is Imbolc. Actually it is a little unclear which day Imbolc falls upon. For some the evening of January 31st is the holiday (Imbolc Eve), for others it is today-- with the biggest celebration being the evening feast-- and still others celebrate tomorrow as Candlemas Day.

Imbolc is an pagan holiday that celebrates the midwinter and coming of Spring. Spring is my favorite season so I'm all about celebrating it's pending arrival. Imbolc is also know as Brighid's Day* (or Saint Brigit's day depending upon whether you are Pagan or Christian). It is a day to " illuminate, reflect and purify."

For myself, I've decided to spend part of the day cleaning and organizing (we have a BIG house reorganization/fix-up scheduled for Spring Break) and then make myself a nice Imbolc feast for dinner. I'm not sure yet exactly what goes into an Imbolc feast but I understand dairy (to signify that lactation of the lambs) is important. Candles will be lit and although I can find no specific mention of alcohol, it seems to me some Guiness is in order (ok so Guiness almost always seems like a good idea to me).

b is leaving today to fly to his hometown for a few days and Boy will be out working most of the evening. It is also a chilly, rainy day here. Perfect conditions for private reflection and purification.

*Brighid, who goes by many names, is a Celtic goddess. She is the keeper of the sacred flame (her name means either "fiery arrow" or "exalted one") and the guardian of home and hearth. She is the patron saint of poetry, childbirth, and smithcraft.

No comments: