If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Friday, April 11, 2008

Other People's Agendas

I like To Do lists. I think it is inherited. I remember my mother making her daily list as I was growing up. The first thing she would put on the list was "Make List." She said this way she could cross it off as soon as she was done.

Someone told me years ago that the secret to time management was to recognize items on your list that are "other people's agendas" and to put them at the bottom of the list. I'm fairly good at doing that. Sometimes "other people's agendas" items pile up and I have no choice but to devote an entire day to clearing them.

April feels like "other people's agendas" month.

Last night I stayed up late just to read a transcript from my beloved research project. I miss her (yes my research projects are all female) like a best friend.

No comments: