As seen everywhere:
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before.
Sent my son to college.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
This year I tried a New Year's theme, but honestly that didn't seem to work too well. I have a few goals brewing and may post them later.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
b's friend from junior high had his first child, but they are neither physically nor emotionally close to me. One of my grad students had a little girl.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My sensei and I miss him.
5. What countries did you visit?
None. I barely did any traveling this year.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Tenure. I'll put my packet in this year but probably won't have the official answer until 2010.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I'm actually horrible with remembering dates but August 20th will stay. That was the day we took Angel to college.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting through it.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I don't do failure.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
A touch of the crud early in the year and my normal migraines but no real illness. As for injury, I've had tendinitis in my shoulder for several months now.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
b. He couldn't have been better.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The Mormon Church
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Angel finishing the semester with a 3.4 GPA
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Walk Away - Ben Harper
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
doesn't sound like a great year, does it?
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
eating, spending money, missing Angel
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
b and I spent it alone, at home, eating, drinking and enjoying each other's company
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
I fall deeper in love everyday
22. How many one-night stands?
23. What was your favorite TV program?
I'm so bad with favorites. This year I've really enjoyed Battle Star Galactica, Grey's Anatomy, and downloading the first season of NYPD Blue
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I generally don't do hate but there are a few extra people I'd rather not spend time with
25. What was the best book you read?
Can't limit it to one. Here's what I've enjoyed:
War and Peace
In the Time of Butterflies (Julia Alvarez)
Rereading all of Octavia Butler's work
I'm currently reading Their Eyes Were Watching God and loving it.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
27. What did you want and get?
For Angel to be happy at college and do well
28. What did you want and not get?
For Angel to come home
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
I saw way more movies and films (in the theater and downloads) than usual this year. Most were ok at best. Trouble the Waters was phenomenal. Foot Fist Way was about the worst movie I've seen in my life.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 43 this year. On my birthday I went to work, attended a few meetings, had a migraine, and went out to a lovely dinner with b and Angel.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More Angel, less meetings
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
33. What kept you sane?
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
36. Who did you miss?
Angel and Sensei
37. Who was the best new person you met?
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Not all socks are equal. There are some exceptional ones out there and you shouldn't accept less.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
What are you changing?
Who do you think you're changing?
You can't change things, we're all stuck in our ways
It's like trying to clean the ocean
What do you think you can drain it?
Well it was poison and dry long before you came