If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Update

Thanks all for the condolences on yesterday. I wish I could report things have gotten better but, in fact, today was more of the same. For some reason, however, I remain in a remarkably good mood. Perhaps it is the impending end of semester? Or perhaps I'm still glowing from the got-a-huge-grant-out high. Here's the latest:
  • Termites are not a huge problem, and since its a rental, its not my expense.
  • Termites come from a leaky roof that will now need to be fixed.
  • Leaky roof again is not my problem although living through the fixing may be annoying.
  • Mrs. Landlord got accepted to graduate school (Mr & Mrs Landlord are a lovely couple who are around our age; a blended family with 1 boy just a few years younger than Angel; he's a photographer and she's a poet; they live in our neighborhood and are extremely responsive yet unintrusive--in other words the world's perfect landlords--oh and they've never raised the rent) so they will be relocating and selling our little house.
  • Mr & Mrs Landlord will sell to investors and will put in the contract that our rent can't be raised for a year.
  • We're looking into our options - maybe we'll finally move out of the city and back into the woods.
  • Today I found a small farmhouse on 12 acres next to a lake where b likes to kayak for $200 less than what we currently pay.
  • Angel called to find out how things stood after last night. He didn't remember much of the conversation and thought he was belligerent.
  • Angel can be belligerent but wasn't last night and hardly ever is with me.
  • He did remember the weeping. It seems he called about 6 people last night and was probably weepy with all of them.
  • He had a designated driver.
  • He's in agreement with me re the job situation.
  • b had to go back to the dentist for a check-up after his last wisdom tooth removal. His mouth still hurts.
  • The car broke down on the way. The alternator is shot--again.
  • We only have one car. She is old. Very old. We love her but realize she will need to be replaced sometime in the near future.
  • If we move back to the woods we will need 2 cars. And there will be a lot more driving in our lives.
  • SouthLite is being hit with mandated furloughs. I'll be losing a small percentage of my pay for the next two months. No word on what will happen after that. Raises not happening, now hoping there aren't more pay cuts.
  • Taught my last class for the semester (still have 2 classes of presentations to sit through). My students ended as awesome, if not more so, than they started. I will miss this group.
Life: you take the good with the bad.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I should have read this post first before I commented above. I'm so sorry the crappy things are still happening. The pay cut is bad. As if you don't have enough to worry about. Hopefully, it won't be a long term thing.

BUT I'm glad you're in a good mood. Yes, the grant is an awesome accomplishment and must be a huge relief when it is finished.

I still think Angel sounds like an awesome guy. Just the fact that he had a designated driver speaks volumes about his maturity and sense of responsibility. I hope he can find a job he likes.

Twelve acres on a lake sounds like a good dream! Of course, the driving long distances gets rough. Boy, can I relate to having an old car. People think I'm solely responsible for global warming when they see me coming:) I'd drive a green car if I could afford one.

Sorry to yak so much. I enjoy your posts!