If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Sunday, May 10, 2009

My New Love


This is my birthday present from b. I've been putting off getting one for many years. It seemed like a big item (both financially and size-wise) for me to own and I always made due without it. For some reason this seemed like a good year to ask for it. I thought I'd be happy with it but not thrilled.

I am thrilled.

Note the color. I like yellow in my kitchen and it matches the baking bowl I found earlier this year on my escapades Up North.

I made myself a birthday cake with it...a cake I've made a number of times before (deep chocolate layer cake with peanut butter frosting). It was not only extremely delicious but so so much easier.

I love to knead when I make bread so I didn't think I'd use the dough hook that much. Tonight was pizza night (well calzone night actually) here at the House of Dirt and Rocks. I gave it a whirl.

I'm in love.

6 comments:

Amanda@Lady Scientist said...

Here are to many happy (and yummy) times together!

Seeking Solace said...

I want one of those too!!!! I love to bake and the hand mixer is just getting to be too hard with the RA.

Ianqui said...

I had mine for about 3 years before I finally took it off the shelf and discovered its greatness. If you like making fresh juices (mmmm, lemon/limeade in the summer), I highly recommend the juicer attachment.

MoxieMamaKC said...

You are a woman of incredible taste. I've been holding out on a new purchase of the exact same mixing wonder. Maybe I'll have to break down and just get it.

k8 said...

Awesome! Whenever I'm at my parents' house, I use any excuse to use their kitchenaid. They have always had one, so I grew up using it and know how useful they are. Once I get out of grad student poverty, I shall have one. Oh yes!

The yellow is very pretty! Cheerful, even.

Julie said...

I love it!!!! The color is gorgeous. My mouth is drooling over your description of the cake, too. Happy birthday again. It sounds like it has been a great one.