If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Friday, July 17, 2009

Food: Its What We Do

Tomorrow is a promotion test at the dojo. Normally these are done during regular class hours but a bunch of us decided we needed a social event so we are combining the promotion with a potluck cook-in affair. b can't make it--he has to work all day--but today he made a lasagna for me to bring. Actually he made two--a meat and spinach and a spinach. The latter one he made for us to have at home. But since I'll be bringing a meat lasagna and I don't eat meat, I also made a pasta salad. It may be my best pasta salad yet--with asparagus, mushrooms, grape tomatoes, toasted pine nuts, shaved parmesan cheese, basil and chives. I also heard that there was only one dessert coming so I baked peanut butter brownies (recipe from my current favorite food blog, Smitten Kitchen) too. If that wasn't enough kitchen action for one day, b decided to try to make his own waffle cones simply because we had ice cream in the house. Unfortunately he found out a little late that we don't have the right kind of waffle iron. Nevertheless they made for a yummy waffle and ice cream sandwich.

Is it any wonder I keep gaining back those same 10 pounds?

No comments: