If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Things I'm Enjoying: A List (Of Sorts)

Finding books via the blogosphere: The other day I followed this link that led me to a very interesting post on what is considered "mind-blowing" in sci fi and who "gets" to blow our minds. But more importantly, the comment section became a list of mind-blowing sci fi by women. I now have an even longer to-read list than when the summer started. It also provides a link to another post on mind-blowing sci fi by people of color. You may notice that my blogroll now includes a section on Reading Blogs--where you'll find the aforementioned blog prominently listed. The other blog that is listed under this new category is Leaning Towards The Sun. Check out this post on The Schomburg Library of Nineteenth-Century Black Women Writers and the subsequent link to Beacon's Black Women Writers' Series.
Finding my loved ones writing blogs: Even more mind-blowing then the post on Leaning Towards The Sun, was my eventual realization that the blog is authored by someone very near and dear to my heart--DeeDee. She has just started this amazing blog on books and container gardening so hop on over and give her some bloggy love.
Update: Just as I finished posting b came home and told me a friend of ours has just started a blog. So send some more bloggy love over to Anna.
Netflix: Ok so I know I am sooooo late to the Netflix game but no one ever told me that you have instant access to movies and shows. I thought it consisted only of mailing and receiving DVDs. b and I started a trial subscription and liked it so much we were able to drop cable altogether (and increase our bandwidth and are still paying less each month). We prefer watching shows and movies on our laptops and have primarily been relying on hulu and iTunes but this has definitely put us over the edge. Last night I watched Deliver Us From Evil. A great documentary but very painful.
My colleagues: We've all been back in the office this week preparing for classes and hanging out. They are a great group and I enjoy spending time with them. I know once classes actually start we'll be on different schedules and crazed so the group dynamic will not be as merry.
Stealing time to snuggle b in the morning: Waking up late and slow and stealing some extra snuggles is the best way to start the day. Unfortunately I know this too will be ending soon as faculty meetings and other work-related responsibilities descend.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Hi Brigindo, Thank you for the blog recommendations. I haven't had a chance to look yet- but I will. They all sound great.

Julie said...

The links are awesome. Thank you!