If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Dark Side of Living Healthy

  • In order to fit our hour at the gym every morning, b and I don't have time to either ride or walk to work any more.
  • We are eating (and buying) less at the supermarket and not eating out as much yet we still spend just as much money because healthy food is expensive.
  • I take a 10 minute shower at the gym everyday which has translated into me not having time to shave my legs.
  • A different muscle hurts almost everyday.
  • Cooking and shopping and prepping take a lot more time than eating out.
  • Although we don't have a TV at home, I am surrounded by TVs at the gym.  I am now inundated with network news and feeling despondent over the state of the world. 

And yet, it is all worth it. 

4 comments:

Annie said...

I was glad to see the Yes, it is all worth it. I was going to say, it is a choice. The network news, I can see, as a downer. I hate to listen to the news, not to "hide my head in the sand" but because I can only work on the day to day, and help where I can with positive interactions in my own life. We have to hope it makes the best difference we can.

Julie said...

I know what you mean about healthy food being expensive. I can't afford to buy anything at the health food stores. Even the local co-ops that offer reduced prices in exchange for volunteer work are still way too costly. I understand that it's probably more expensive because it's not processed in huge quantities in factories, but I still wonder at the prices.

Fortunately, I am able to grow and can my own vegetables, which is great. Yes, you're right. It is so worth it!

comebacknikki said...

I am so with you - the food bill is way more expensive, I have sore muscles in places I never imagined, the laundry has doubled (so many stinky gym clothes!), and I'm sick of constantly chopping one vegetable or another. However, it's so, so worth it! :)

Maggie May said...

i TOTALLY relate. we eat largely organic and whole food and our grocery bill is large for the amount of food we buy. and i was the same way with the tv at the gym. the news is crushing.