If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Going Home

b and I went UpNorth this weekend to visit our HomeCity. It was a whirlwind weekend and we both had a good time. I spent two days walking in a way I can only do there. I walked through many of my old neighborhoods and passed by my old haunts. I spent a little time with friends that feel like family and one family member that feels like a friend. b and I had drinks at one of our old date spots and we got to eat food that doesn't really exist anywhere else. I traced the changes that happen in a city that moves at lightening speed and I remain more amazed by what doesn't change that what does. I passed by favorite restaurants, old homes and old schools. I even passed by the church where I first got married. Sometimes I wish I could see it as others do--exciting and invigorating, a city like no other--but mostly it drains me.

We drove home yesterday through snow and ice for over 10 hours--happy to be going home.

1 comment:

MoxieMamaKC said...

That reminds me of my home town. Sometimes it's nice to just go back and have a little perspective of where your life was, where it is now...Nice to know feel like some things never change and some things do...Glad you had a good trip!