If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Watching The BoobTube

As seen at Sleeping in the Forest, its another meme but this one got me thinking about television viewing so I added a post at the end. Here are the instructions:

1. Bold the shows you watch/used to watch.
2. Italicize the shows you’ve seen at least one episode of.
3. Bold and italicize the shows you own* on DVD.
4. Post your answers.

50. Quantum Leap

49. Prison Break

48. Veronica Mars

47. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

46. Sex & The City

45. Farscape

44. Cracker

43. Star Trek

42. Only Fools and Horses

41. Band of Brothers

40. Life on Mars

39. Monty Python

38. Curb Your Enthusiasm

37. Star Trek: The Next Generation

36. Father Ted

35. Alias

34. Frasier

33. CSI Las Vegas

32. Babylon 5

31. Deadwood

30. Dexter

29. ER

28. Fawlty Towers

27. Six Feet Under

26. Red Dwarf

25. Futurama (w/ Angel)

24. Twin Peaks (saw one show for the first time a few months ago)

23. The Office

22. The Shield

21. Angel

20. Blackadder

19. Scrubs (with Angel)

18. Arrested Development

17. South Park (with Angel)

16. Dr Who

15. Heroes

14. Firefly

13. Battlestar Galactica

12. Family Guy (Yeah, Angel forced this one)

11. Seinfeld

10. Spaced

09. The X-Files

08. The Wire

07. Friends

06. 24

05. Lost

04. The West Wing

03. The Sopranos

02. Buffy the Vampire Slayer

01. The Simpsons (mostly with Angel)

Growing up we had a small black and white TV with the classic wire hanger antenna and pliers to change the channel. My mother had left my father, taken the four of us and went to graduate school. We were living on her teaching assistant stipend and loans.

My mother also has always hated TV. My sisters and I would gather around "the boob tube" (as my mother called it) to watch such classics as Mary Tyler Moore, Rhoda, and All In the Family (ok, we also watched Eight is Enough and Fantasy Island). Periodically my mother would emerge from her room, stand behind us, and start a critical analysis of whatever show we were watching. It did not add to my viewing pleasure.

I write all this as an explanation of why I think I've never been all that into TV (although my son and both my husbands feel quite differently). There are shows I definitely love (West Wing was probably the best written show ever) but I'm a reader and will almost always choose a book over a TV show. Even so, over the years I have managed to watch and follow a great many shows--with few of them represented on this list. What about M.A.S.H.? Where's Cheers? or NYPD Blue? How about Homicide: Life on the Streets? Let's not forget Good Times, Maude or Sanford & Son. Honestly I haven't heard of about a third of the shows on this list and it is making me feel very old.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I sound like your mother in my disdain for TV. For the most part, I despise television. PBS has great documentaries. I do love old re-runs of M.A.S.H. and Vincent D'Onofrio on Law & Order. And X-Files was cool (I'm showing my nerdliness again).

People are shocked when I tell them I never had cable. Just didn't want it. Recently, I got a new internet service provider that had a deal on one of those "bundles." Cable was part of the deal. Now it's my turn to be shocked. I flicked through the stations to see what the big deal is. I've never seen such a bunch of mindless crap in my life. The first thing I saw was a show about a bunch of middle aged women fighting each other to have sex with an aging "rock" star. Huh?

I haven't missed much.

You're awesome, Brigindo. Keep on posting.