If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Monday, May 2, 2011

Summer Reading List

I've been running across a lot of books I'd like to read lately.  For a while I was in a bit of a reading drought but currently the list is long, the interest is high, and the summer is near.  Here's what's on my list:

  1. Message from an Unknown Chinese Mother: Stories of Loss and Love by Xinran
  2. Children and Fire by Ursula Hegi
  3. The Wild Girls by Ursula K. LeGuin
  4. Orange is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison by Piper Kerman
  5. Girls Like Us: Fighting for a World Where Girls are not for Sale, an Activist Finds Her Calling and Heals Herself, by Rachel Lloyd
  6. Father of the Rain by Lily King
  7. Private Life by Jane Smiley
  8. Just Kids by Patti Smith
  9. Nox by Anne Carson
  10. The Social Animal by David Brooks
  11. The Street by Ann Petry
  12. Poser: My Life in 23 Yoga Poses by Claire Dederer
  13. My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me: Forty New Fairy Tales, Edited by Kate Bernheimer
This last one I've actually started and am loving it.  I'll check in over the summer and let you know how I'm doing.  I may even throw in a review or two.

3 comments:

Drax said...

Awesome.

Annie said...

Hi Brigindo, I'd love to read your reviews, especially on the last one, and The Wild Girls by Le Guin. Happy reading!

Joan Kane Nichols said...

Thanks for the tips. I already had the Brooks book on hold at the library and now I've added a bunch of others. My library does not seem to have the Le Guin book, unfortunately.