If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Bad Blogger

So my posting has been pretty close to nil lately. I'm not sure why but this semester is kicking my butt, royally. I'm at the end of the second week and feel like I've gotten very little accomplished other than teaching my 2 classes. I know this isn't technically true but they have taken up way more time than I can allow.

Part of it is that I have a new prep, but than I've had a new prep each semester since I've been here. More importantly this new prep is for an undergraduate class and I've only taught graduate students before.

The class is going fine but I don't feel like I have a rhythm yet. My graduate classes meet once a week for 3 hours; the undergraduate class meets twice a week for an hour and 15 minutes. I feel like the minute I get started I'm done and then I have to prep all over again the next day.

I'm also realizing that undergraduates just don't know that much. I don't mean to belittle them--I suppose they know as much as any undergraduate class--and I shouldn't be surprised that graduate students know more, are more experienced, are more committed, whatever--but the reality of it is throwing me through a bit of a loop.

I'm sure there's an answer for this and I'm sure I'll find it. I just hope I figure it out before the semester is completely over.

3 comments:

Dr. Bad Ass said...

Yes, yes, yes! I know exactly what you mean about the problems with such short classes (I also only have an hour and 15 minutes, when I'm used to three-hour classes with my grad students and one undergrad class), with undergrads not knowing much, not being inclined to think hard, etc. Well, they do think, but I have to push and push. It's tiring. I'm with you. Today I'm feeling like just jumping on my bike and riding around town instead of working.

Miss Feisty said...

I am glad that Angel is adjusting to University life..don't believe him when he says he doesn't miss home...he probably thinks that will make you worry less.

I am also happy to hear that educators on all levels feel that same "cat chasing its tail" madness! I hope this semester gets better for you! Thinking back to when I was undergrad, I'd have to agree with you...I didn't know crap! :)

Anonymous said...

Nah...you're not a bad blogger. You're awesome. I hope your semester gets better and better. I can only imagine the politics that are involved with a university. I only saw what happened on the peon's level (instructor), and that was bad enough. Don't worry if you can't post, because your fans will be here when you return. Plus, I'm having fun checking out your old posts. Take care!