If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Birthday Wishes

My sister, Meg, turned 50 today. Meg is the oldest of us four girls and I am the youngest. This means Meg gets to break trail for each new decade and I bring up the rear. From what I gather 50 can be a hard one.

I don't get to speak to my sisters as often as I'd like and I see them once a year at best. Today I got to talk with Meg for over an hour and a half. She is going through an exciting but stressful time in her life right now (turning 50 seems to be the least of it) and it was wonderful to catch up on it all. My niece is throwing her a big birthday bash this Saturday, which I unfortunately will not be able to attend. Hopefully I'll make it up North sometime soon and get a chance to spend some time with her.

In our talk today Meg suggested that Angel may be so reluctant to come home because he needs to be--if he admits to himself that he misses us it may be too hard to be away. I will say this thought had crossed my mind before but than I instantly thought it is too nice of a thought to have. A little too comforting--making it suspect. However it as nice to be able to talk to her about it, as she is the only one of us who has gone through the college years and come out on the other end.

Happy Birthday Meg.

3 comments:

life_of_a_fool said...

Happy birthday to Meg!

I think she's right about Angel. He really hasn't been gone long (though I'm sure it doesn't feel that way). And it's been a period of huge adjustment. His first few visits home will also likely be an adjustment. There's no doubt in my mind that you have a very strong relationship, and that he's a great guy.

When I went off to college, I didn't go home until Christmas break (and that was stressful for me, especially to see friends, as I was very much still figuring out who I was). It's not because I didn't like my parents (and I think I have a good relationship with them now). He's becoming more independent -- that's good (and will likely mean that you'll continue to have a strong and healthy relationship into his adulthood).

I can't imagine how hard it must be for parents, but I think there is truth in your comforting thoughts.

Anonymous said...

happy birthday to your sister!

and Meg is the oldest, and you are four sisters? are you *sure* you're not the little women? is your last name marsh?!

Anonymous said...

also, i agree with meg's thoughts on angel. i think in the beginning you want to prove to yourself as much as others that you can do it on your own.