If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Feeling Good

This is one of my favorite songs of Nina Simone....



...and it sums up my overall mood lately.

Why have I been blessed with such a joyous mood that even a 2-hr repeat faculty meeting can't unhinge me? It all has to do with the new gym. I've been going daily. I think there may have only been one day since I've started this little affair that I've missed our rendezvous.

I've always known that exercise changes me substantially and for large periods of my life I've profited from that knowledge. However the last two years I somehow managed to ignore this fact and, it seems, have suffered greatly. I was starting to feel old.

I've worked out a gym schedule for the semester. It goes something like this:
  • Mondays: 30 minutes cardio (machine)/45 minutes weights (machines)/15 minutes steam
  • Tuesdays: 60 minutes Tai Chi
  • Wednesdays: 30 minutes cardio (machine)/45 minutes weights (machines)/15 minutes steam (considering substituting a Pilates class every now and again)
  • Thursday: 60 minutes Yoga
  • Friday: 45 minutes weights (machines/20 minutes swim/15 minutes hot tub/10 minutes steam
  • Saturday: 60 minutes yoga & pilates type class/60 minutes Tai Chi
  • Sunday: 60 minutes Yoga/30 minutes cardio (machine)
I've been struggling with the martial arts community in SouthLite. It is small and not quite what I've wanted/needed. This tai chi class seems to have a dedicated following with varying levels of experience. More importantly the instructor knows what he is doing and I think I can learn something from him.

I've also always thought I'd dislike yoga classes. I've learned many of the postures from martial arts classes but never thought I'd enjoy taking an actual class. I'm happy to say that I was sadly mistaken and I leave every class feeling like the real me.

I'm being very very possessive of my time this semester. So far it is working and I'm still managing to get research done. Hopefully I can keep this going.

5 comments:

Annie said...

Thanks for the song! Good for you, with your workout schedule. I know I always feel better when I'm active.

Drax said...

That's a two-fisted song, don't you think?! There's a lot of grimness to her swagger, a defiance and a determination, "I will TRY to be happy, and I will not be dissuaded." It's certainly not "Lah la la..." Anyway, thanks. Carry on. bazoaggi!

Julie said...

Awesome song!!!

Big applause from me, too. You're doing great, Brig. I'm getting inspired again! Your self discipline is very impressive. You're so right about the good feeling exercise brings.

Maggie May said...

this is JUST how i am. exercise is essential for keeping me up. essential.

BrightenedBoy said...

Good luck with balancing everything and staying fit. My mother is a work-out fanatic and goes to the gym several nights a week, along with doing thirty-mile bike rides in the summer.