If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Monday, December 27, 2010

Blogaversary

Today is my three-year blogaversary.  It is hard to believe I've been at this for 3 years but it is a fact. The week between Christmas and New Years is usually a time of rest for me and I often start new projects to keep me occupied.  I started the blog not sure if it would survive the new year but it seems it has twice over.

I don't get a rest week this year because we are moving on the 29th.  Today the tree was undone and the decorations packed.  Most of my books are packed and about half of my clothes.  The kitchen is still completely unpacked.

Books are probably my most plentiful possession.  I purged as many as I could and traded them in at the local used bookstore.  I now have a $32 credit awaiting me.  However I also just got an iPad (through a grant at work--not Santa) and have discovered free ebooks.  I can get just about any classic for free and have been rereading my way through Jane Austin (started with Emma; am almost done with Mansfield Park; Sense & Sensibility is on deck).  I think I might reread Henry James next.  I'm enjoying the iPad experience.  It is different from flesh-and-blood books and definitely doesn't take their place but is definitely I nice addition to my reading pleasure.

In the comments, Ruth said it seemed like I wasn't going crazy with this move and I'm not.  b, Angel and I are all minimalists so packing is usually not a big hassle.  This time around, with Angel already moved out, I am realizing how much more of a minimalist b is than I.  He probably has 1 box to my 2. The other reason I'm not crazy is because I'm still a New Yorker at heart.  I was raised to move.  In NYC you are always looking for a better apartment.  I believe the longest I've lived anywhere is 6 years.

In other news, Angel was supposed to fly up to see his father today but because of the blizzard the airports were all closed.  They didn't officially cancel his flight until about an hour before we were going to head to the airport.  By that time they were so backed up the earliest flight they could offer him was Friday afternoon (that would be New Year's Eve).  He is not at all happy with this situation.  Many of his friends up in that area for the week and he was looking forward to getting away from parents and hanging out with people his own age.  However his bad news is our gain. We get 4 more days with him and he'll be around to help with the move!

6 comments:

Seeking Solace said...

Happy blogaversary!!!!

Hope the snow doesn't interfere with moving. :)

Drax said...

Poor Angel. Christmas joy has turned to tears of sorrow for so many girls and boys in the blizzard-krieged northeast!!

Catherine said...

Congrats on three years writing your blog! Last year right after Christmas, K and I were also packing and getting ready for our move to PA. I didn't like having to take down the tree so soon after Christmas, but it couldn't be helped/ Alas, I am not a minimalist and had much to purge. Still do. Much of what we carted here is still packed in boxes in the basement awaiting our next move.

Happy packing!

Annie said...

Happy Blogaversary! Enjoy your time with Angel. I'm sure the move will go smoothly.

comebacknikki said...

Happy blogiversary! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy blogaversary! Maybe one day I'll be as dedicated as you are....

And please let us know how awesome the iPad is. I'm constantly drooling over them. I'm thinking of starting a letter writing campaign to point out to Apple that I've been very loyal and would greatly appreciate a "loyalty thank you" in the form of an iPad... :o)