If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Sunday, April 18, 2010

A Hike Built For Two

b went to some paddling extravaganza this weekend, leaving Pupzilla and I to fend for ourselves. Today was an amazingly beautiful day and I thought a hike on one of our favorite trails was in order. One of the things I really love about SouthLite is the number of greenways, trails, and paths that run through the city. In about 15 minutes you can be on a very lovely path through the woods and around the lakes.

Our hike was postponed slightly as Pumpkin and BB decided to drop by for lunch. One of Pumpkin's family members passed away this week and the viewing was today with the funeral tomorrow. This is a distant family member for Pumpkin so she is not grieving but other family members are and she is anxious to support them. I fed them leftovers and we talked a bit about funerals (this is the first one for both of them). They then changed into more appropriate attire. BB had the suit he wore to his high school prom and he has not worn it since. I think you see where this is going. He looked particularly uncomfortable as he left, especially since I had given him a rather generous helping of mac & cheese.

So our hike occurred in the afternoon. Luckily the day was cool enough that this was not a problem for Pupzilla. The trail I chose is not very hilly so that helped too.

Pupzilla waits patiently while I take her picture before we start our hike.

The beginning of the trail goes through an open field.

Pupzilla decided she needed to roll in the dried grass.

Luckily the path quickly turns wooded.

The trail goes along a lake.

Pupzilla does her version of a swim.

We walk 0n dirt.

We walk over bridges.

We walked on walkways.

Puppy got tired from so much walking but she soldiered on.

We passed big houses.

[BTW, I don't get the big house appeal. This house looks as big as some apartment buildings I've lived in. What do you do with all that space and how do you keep it clean?]

We saw wildlife

And more wildlife.

But the only flowers we saw were these little buttercups

We realized the world can be beautiful when you look at it from the top...

...or the bottom.

All hail the mighty Pupzilla.

2 comments:

Annie said...

I love the photos! Thanks for sharing your hike!

Julie said...

It's good of Pumpkin to be there to support her family members at a difficult time. I'm always filled with sorrow when I hear about a funeral, even if it's someone I don't know. I couldn't help but smile at the image of BB in the suit, though. A generous portion of Mac & Cheese and a prom suit would make for an uncomfortable walk back home:)

The photos are awesome. My mind is boggled by the big house. I'm with you...I don't get it.

I love the wildlife shots. And I always adore the photos of Pupzilla. What a beauty...and there is so much personality in that sweet face!