- Friday was graduation. We always have two graduations on the same day--the big university-wide graduation and than a smaller graduation. The smaller graduation used to be for our entire school (5 departments) so it wasn't that small. This year the Powers-That-Be decided every department should host their own graduation. Personally I find this to be a poor use of resources but no one asked me.
- The university-wide graduation was in the morning. I didn't go. In my department we generally take turns representing at the morning graduation and I went last year.
- I did attend the afternoon graduation and since it was only my department it was much smaller (and quicker) and I thought we did a very nice job hosting it. I still think it is a bad idea but we executed it well.
- Moments before graduation was over a note was brought down from the Dean's office and passed to my department head on the podium. He announced that a faculty member had won the university-wide teaching award. Then he said it was me.
- I'm not one for surprises and this was a rather big one.
- It is a really nice honor but, even better, it comes with a monetary award.
- It was a very nice way to end the semester.
- When graduation was over I got in the car and drove 3 hours down to Pumpkin's house. We had plans for a mother-daughter weekend. We did a lot of fun things. We walked along the river; found a cool antiques store; went out for drinks with one of her friends (who is also a doula--so there was a lot of childbirth talk); cooked yummy dinners and stayed up late talking.
- By Sunday afternoon I was exhausted. I drove the 3 hours home and met up with b to do the food shopping for the week. After all of that all I could manage was to go out for pizza and beer.
- This morning I had to get up early and head out to a work-related workshop. It will run for a full two weeks of eight hour days. Today's information felt like it could have been covered in an hour. Luckily a good friend is attending with me so it wasn't all bad.
- Here are a few pictures from my weekend with Pumpkin:
Walking and talking
My favorite piece in the antique store.