If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Day Off

So I'm mired down in work. It is actually worse than usual and more just keeps getting added. The current pace is set to continue at least through the month and more likely through to Thanksgiving. On top of the actual workload is my desire to get a little ahead so I can (a) spend some quality time with Angel when he comes home for his first visit next week and (b) not completely work through the 3-day trip to the beach that b and I have planned once Angel's visit is over.

All that being said I have to admit I took the day off and feel much better for doing so. Sometimes a day off is exactly the right approach when you're behind with no chance of getting ahead. Curious about what I did? Here's my day in a nutshell:

  • Slept late (9:30 am)
  • Drank coffee in bed while reading blogs (ok and a grant that someone sent me but technically that's prework--not work)
  • Straightened up the kitchen and cleaned the kitty litter box
  • Went with b to meet my old GA (she needs a better name, let's call her DeeDee) at our favorite breakfast place
  • Ate a big old omelet with home fries and a biscuit
  • Talked a lot
  • Brought DeeDee back home and sat around in the yard enjoying the beautiful and gossiping (b was kind enough to go food shopping without me)
  • Said good bye to DeeDee and went to the sporting store with b
  • Bought a new heavy bag, a pair of gloves and rubber matting for the floor
  • Helped b carry our stand for the heavy bag from the backyard into the living room
  • Helped b set up said heavy bag stand and hang heavy bag
  • Cleaned living room
  • Hit the heavy bag--wearing new gloves--and practiced kata
  • Chatted with Angel online (he spent the day playing paintball with his frat brothers and took pictures with his new early birthday present camera)
  • (Ok, read a little more of the grant that is prework not work and answered an email or two)
  • Ate dinner that b cooked in his brand new dutch oven (we're up to dutch oven #4)
  • Laid in bed with b and watched this movie:

  • Stayed in bed and watch last Thursday's Grey's Anatomy (I teach Thursday nights so I bought the season pass)
  • Read more blogs
  • Wrote this blog.
  • It's almost 11 pm and I think I may read some more of Kindred (only one more Octavia Butler to go after this)
Tomorrow it's all work.

No comments: