If you see a whole thing - it seems that it's always beautiful. Planets, lives... But up close a world's all dirt and rocks. And day to day, life's a hard job, you get tired, you lose the pattern. - Ursula K. LeGuin

Sunday, October 2, 2011

RBOC: Favorite Hobbies Edition

  • Just came back from Sunday morning yoga class.  I'll spend the afternoon working and then head out for Sunday evening yoga class.  I'm averaging 5-6 classes a week and 1-2 at home practices.
  • This morning's class was focused on the back and Warrior 3.  Warrior 3 feels especially challenging to me.  At the end of class I asked the instructor if we could do more Warrior 3 in tomorrow morning's class.  Yes I am that kind of masochist when it comes to yoga.
  • I think about yoga a lot.  Sometimes it pops into my head before I go to sleep; sometimes when I first wake up.  I read about it when I can and I even watched Enlighten Up (which wasn't very good) just because it was about yoga.  This obsession reminds me of how I first felt about martial arts when I started that at 16.  Somehow that's comforting.
  • My obsession is becoming known among my doctoral students.  I managed to turn 1 of them onto it and she's brought another into the pack.  A third student hasn't done it in years but just sent us all a calendar for her favorite ex-teacher.  It looks like we're going to have a little yoga field trip.
  • I haven't been baking very much.  I haven't been that interested in doing it (the hot summer may have had something to do with that) and I'm trying to eat healthier.  But last night I baked one of my new favorites: cinnamon chocolate chip sour cream coffee cake.  The recipe is from my favorite blog for baking.
  • The coffee cake was amazing.  I ate two small pieces and gave two large pieces to b (I'm bad that way).  The recipe makes a lot so I had him bring most of it into work today.
  • He just texted me that half of it is already gone and he's been there less than 15 minutes.
  • Last night was also pizza night.  The crust was perfect this time.  I now only make pizza in cast iron skillets.
  • I haven't been doing much photography lately either.  Work definitely gets in the way of my hobbies.
  • Last night I took some shots of the pizza and coffee cake.  I didn't think about the shots, I just wanted something for that other social media I sometimes update.  However when I pulled them onto my computer I found shots of dying yellow roses that I had forgotten.
  • Every once in a while I like to play with textures.  I belong to Kim Klassen's Texture-Lovin' Group and get weekly freebies.  So last night I played with the yellow rose shots and some textures.  The result was a blog post.
  • Blogging is one of my favorite hobbies.


1 comment:

Seeking Solace said...

I so need to get back into yoga. I was really into it for a while.

BTW, I drove past your neck of the woods over the weekend. Did you see me wave?